Sunday, January 31

Internships?

(me at my internship for a customer service photo shoot..and guess what..I ended up in an advertisement in photography magazines!)


Internships might just not be for college students anymore. It seems as though every article related to unemployment or job searching tips that I find myself pouring over are saying that internships are the new jobs (particularly for college grads!)

I remember watching The Pursuit of Happiness in college and thinking how horrible it must be as an adult to take an unpaid internship. But alas, here I find myself seriously considering taking part in an internship program. I think alot of people are finding themselves considering the option. I mean, there is nothing wrong with an internship! I had a wonderful, paid internship and learned alot from it. However, the thought of taking possibly an UNPAID internship scares the dickens out of me! That could have been a possibility whilst in school but it would be a tough option to not get paid. It scares me to think that money will be coming out of my bank account and not going in; no matter how well I save.

Let's just highlight some of the positives of an internships (which far outweigh the negatives):

-They are the middle ground for someone like me between having zero experience to having 5 pages worth of experience. Internships don't require you to have extensive experience. They create experience.
- Many internships lead to actual positions and if they don't they sure are a good resume booster and a good reference. That's why it is important to take your internship seriously and do your best work; even if you aren't getting paid.
- You can get a feel for what you want to do (or don't want to do). I've been looking at internships as a way to see what possible careers there are for me out there and how well I fit into those fields.
- They are generally part time. This is important for those of us who are absolutely broke. You could always pick up a few shifts waiting tables or working retail. It will be hard work to juggle an internship, a job, and a LIFE but it will pay off in the end.
- There are some amazing, crazy internships out there! I'm actually in the midst of applying for an internship with a travel company to travel for 3 months and document it. I'm also looking at Cross Cultural Solutions for internship opportunities in India and China (they have many other countries available.) You just have to seek these internships out. Thinking outside of the box is always beneficial.

Those are just a few of the benefits that came to my mind while I was weighing my options.

So, my dear unemployed (and employed) friends, what do you think about internships?

You can find internships all over the web. Remember to look on websites for industry associations. I know that the American Marketing Association has marketing specific job boards with internships.

And check out my FAVORITE resource for awesome internships and intern advice:

Intern Queen!!

4 comments:

  1. I think you should go for it... I have a feeling it could turn into exactly what you are needing and wanting in a job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to! I just really need to get out and travel (because I love doing it) and I want to help people so badly! I just need to get outside of my small world for a bit. I know I won't be making any money but it will be an interesting experience for sure. I want to go out there and figure out what it really is that I want. Thanks for all your encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie! I was thinking of doing the same thing. If I can't find a job by summer, I was just going to apply for a few unpaid internships so that I can at least get myself doing something again. I say go for it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mia--That's kind of how I figured. Ok, if I can't get a paid job, I should probably be at least doing something to gain experience. Sitting at home isn't making me anymore attractive to an employer! Unless they are looking for someone who could tell you the schedule of every day time television show on! :)

    ReplyDelete