Monday, February 1

Be AGGRESSIVE! B-E AGGRESSIVE! B-E A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E!

I feel like I have to be my own personal cheerleader these days! This unemployment/job searching ordeal is draining.

I've decided that I need to become more aggressive with my job searching tactics. I need to be bold and relentless. I don't mean aggressive as in getting in hiring manager's faces or stalking CEO's of companies. I mean just stepping it up and not being as passive. (Side note: It makes me think of the too light too heavy commercials)




Job seekers could take a lesson from the "not too light, not too heavy" concept.


Anyways, some ways I'm stepping it up in 2010 regarding the job search:

1) Remember that the job search is my job right now. I need to take it that seriously. I am waking up early, eating a good breakfast, and getting ready before I proceed with the job search. Sitting around feeling like a bum in my sweatpants does nothing for the morale. I need to make my desk Job Searching central and be organized!
2) Have a schedule. This one is really important. Unemployed days consist of a lot of free time which generally ends up being wasted on who knows what! Not anymore! I am scheduling my days so to have more structure and making to do lists that will be completed. Structure is pretty important and will help you to approach the job search as a job.
3) Network like crazy! I normally feel silly and/or ashamed at promoting myself and trying to network. Not anymore. It's about who you know and how well you know them. I'm making a master list of contacts and what they do. That sounds really creepy but it's not. I need to know who might be of help to either ask for advice in the field or a possible job lead.
4) Offer my services. I'm actually really skilled at marketing despite what my resume says about me. I've always loved to do it and I've always had good feedback on what I've done. I'm am offering myself up to those who need some marketing/advertising. I'm contacting my church, my stepdad's American Legion, local businesses and organizations, etc. Who wouldn't want a free pair of hands and a brain?
5) Look outside the box for possible job opportunities. Be willing to look for jobs in places other than job boards.
6) Send out 3x the amount of resumes per week than I have been. I'm not just going to be sending them out to just anyone for any job. However, I think in the past I have been so discouraged that I haven't even applied for some jobs.

2 comments:

  1. GO JAMIE!! :) This is a great blog if I do say so myself!! Make sure you: 1. list your contact info on the sidebar so those who read your blog can get in touch with you if they have an opportunity for you.

    2. Make sure you tag all your posts with key words... it's super easy and makes your blog more searchable... if you can't figure out how, let me know. More readers means more potential job opportunities!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take those supreme marketing skills you possess and market YOURSELF fully.... looking at this job search as if its a job is a great way to go about this..... :)

    ReplyDelete