Friday, February 5

Hire My Friend!

Some more exciting news: I got the internship!! YAY! So I guess I'm sort of part of the working world again. It's only 8 hours a week and unpaid but it is going to be a great learning experience in the marketing world!


Anyways, I don't know about you all but alot of my unemployed days consist of Facebooking. True story. I'm on Facebook like it's my job. I realized that I could use Facebook productively in my job search. So, take some time from stalking that ex-best friend/boyfriend or refreshing your news feed, and use Facebook to enhance your job search!

1. Status Updates: Update your status and tell people you are out of work! I know firsthand how effective this is. I had quite a few status updates about how much I loathed unemployment and what not and quite a few people messaged me with job leads or asking what I wanted to do. I had a really AWESOME friend who contacted everybody on her email contacts and got me so many leads! It's up to you whether or not you are indirect or direct about it but let people know you are unemployed! Ask for leads! You never know who your friends might know and, to be honest, some people really do want to help you.

2. Hire My Friend: I can't say I tried this but I stumbled upon this application while looking on Facebook. It's called Hire My Friend. I cannot vouch for this leading to success in the job search but I thought it was pretty darn creative and slightly humorous! I like the concept behind it--getting your friends to use their network to help find leads. So, grab a few of your closest friends (and ones with really good contacts) and ask them to fill it out for you!

3. Facebook Marketplace: I used to look on the Facebook Marketplace for textbooks and what not but haven't been on there in a long time. I decided to check it out again and saw how much it has expanded. There is now even a place for jobs! You just type in your zip code and distance you'd like the listings to be within. I found a few decent listings. You just have to search through some of the spammy ones.

Anybody use Facebook to get themselves a job?

2 comments:

  1. Hey - creator of Hire My Friend here. Thanks for the plug - we plugged you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Great idea for an application! Particularly with the way social networking is evolving and changing the ways people can look for jobs!

    ReplyDelete