Saturday, January 30

Give back.

I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
Mahatma Gandhi

All you have to give is your time. And, as we unemployed folks know, we have plenty of that to spare. As I was selfishly moping and sulking about being jobless, I realized that there was a solution to the issue of feeling as though my days were wasted. I realized there was a way I could get out of the confines of my house AND make connections with others that want to make a positive impact on society. I could volunteer! It's not a novel idea or rocket science. However, when you are consumed with moping and sulking, helping people may not be on the forefront of your mind. I began my arduous task of picking just one volunteer opportunity that matched my skills and passions. I happened to find an organization in my area that needed some help with administrative duties and event planning. I can do that for sure! I filled out the application today and am excited to see what kind of experience it will be.

I just think that volunteering would be a really great way to pass those unemployed days. Here's why:

1. You are getting out of your house! For me, it doesn't help to be sitting at home just feeling all the more miserable about my jobless status. Get out of the house!!

2. You are doing good for people. I firmly believing in giving back to your community and to the world. I just think about all the times I've been helped in my life and what a difference that has made. Depending on what you are volunteering for, you are going to be helping people directly or indirectly (what I'll be doing) but either way you will be creating change and serving society in a better way.

3. Helping=Happiness: I've always noticed that every time I've volunteered for something or did something for another human being, it has always boosted my mood--even if I was never recognized for it or it was an anonymous type of thing. Doing something useful with your time can help fight those unemployment blues and help your community at the same time!

4. Resume Booster: Obviously this isn't the only reason you will be volunteering but the reality is that it is something to put on your resume and can be a possible reference. Work as hard as you would if it was a paid job. In a time when you can't find someone to pay you for your skills, volunteering is a great way to get experience to put on the resume. And if you are like me, you need all the resume boosting you can get! So find an organization to volunteer at that is a good fit and work hard!

5. You never know who you will meet: By volunteering, you are expanding your social circle. This is some of the best type of networking you can do. Make sure you maintain relationships with these people and remain professional while volunteering. Work hard and refrain from complaining! You never know who these people might know!

Have any of you had some great experiences volunteering? Do share!

A few great resources:

Volunteer Match
ServeNet
Idealist

3 comments:

  1. This is a Fabulous idea!!! I'm so glad you're doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think this is a great idea for your mood and for your job search for all the reasons you stated above. Fantastic! Did you hear anything back yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jo & Holli!!
    Haven't heard back yet but I'm sure I will! :)

    ReplyDelete